Friday, June 8, 2012

bring back a Flooded D50 to life

 In December 17, 2011 my Nikon D50 was flooded. The next morning, I found my camera in the camera bag all muddy and wet.


After 4 months, I decided to fix the Nikon. Mud went inside the sensor, the mirror and shutter mechanism.

Mud inside the Battery holder of the Nikon D50.

Removing the mud from inside the sensor and mirror. Submerged it for 12 hours in the water. Moving it back and forth to get the water inside the camera and removed some mud with my finger.
 
After getting some of the mud from the inside, I hanged it outside the house to dry. I think it was hanged for a week before everything from inside out was dry.

Finally after two weeks of drying, the camera is dry. Removed what is left of the mud that is inside the camera with a used sensor swab. And when it was cleaned, attached the lens that was also flooded, inserted the battery then tested it. Everything works, except for the Auto Focusing mechanism of the lens.
 Taken with Nikon D50 with Nikkor 18-55mm ed

If ever your camera falls in the water, don't throw it yet or burn it, I suggest you just remove the battery and let it dry. It'll probably still work if there was no short circuit inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment